Identify and attend community meetings where parents or relatives of students who may be interested in the dual language immersion (DLI) program may be in attendance. Distribute your DLI program information at these community meetings.
- Facilitate informational meetings for parents who may be interested in enrolling their children in the DLI education program.
- Invite district and site administrators from established, successful DLI education programs to share with parents about their experiences.
- Also consider inviting parents and their children from established, successful DLI programs to share with parents.
- Hold separate meetings for parents from target language community and for parents from English-only community.
This allows the parents to feel that their language is fully valued, rather than it being subordinate to the language of the presentation.
- Share DLI program information with parents
- Rationale, vision, mission statements
- Benefits for all students in program
- Share DLI program enrollment information with parents
- Inter-district and intra-district policies
- Board-approved enrollment priorities
- Waiting list/lottery policy
Guiding Principles for Dual Language Education: Strand 7, Support and Resources, Principles 1, 3